40 30 30 Zone Diet for Lower Uric Acid is my layman’s review of a gout diet study. Also, I explain how you can check if the Zone diet is suitable for your gout recovery plan. Or if you need to adapt it before you can begin effective uric acid control.
40 30 30 Zone Diet for Lower Uric Acid Audience
I wrote this Zone Diet for Gout Review to help gout sufferers decide between a GoutPal Foodies Plan or a GoutPal Dieters Plan. So if you are not sure which type of gout sufferer you are, read Questions for Gout Sufferers first.
Zone Gout Diet Introduction
This is my summary of an investigation of the effects of Zone diet for gout sufferers. After which I explain how to see if the Zone diet is right for your gout.
40 30 30 Zone Gout Diet Objectives
This gout study set out to test if certain dietary changes could improve gout by lowering uric acid. So, the changes generally are:
- Moderate reduction in carbohydrates and calories.
- Proportional increase in protein.
- Replace saturated with unsaturated fat.
40 30 30 Zone Gout Diet Methods
This study enrolled 13 non-diabetic gout sufferers. Then recorded starting weight, BMI, gout attacks per month, uric acid levels, and cholesterol. The men started a 1600 calorie Zone diet which is 40% carbohydrate, 30% protein, and 30% fat.
The report does not identify any restrictions on meat intake or minimum servings of fruit and vegetables. But it does describe other features of this diet as:
- Replace refined carbohydrates with complex ones.
- Replace saturated fats with almonds, avocados, canola oil and margarine, macadamia nuts, olive oil and margarine, peanuts and peanut butter.
- Eat oily fish at least 4 times per week.
The gout sufferers were measured at intervals during the study and they received counseling where appropriate. So any readers considering this diet should seek help or personal mentoring in the gout forum.
40 30 30 Zone Gout Diet Results
Average BMI fell from 30.5 (obese) to 27.8 (overweight) and average monthly gout attacks fell from 2.1 to 0.6. So those results are in keeping with earlier statistical evidence that losing weight reduces the risk of gout attacks. More importantly, average uric acid levels fell from 9.58 mg/dL (0.57 mmol/L) to 7.90 mg/dL (0.47 mmol/L). Also, the researchers noted that those with higher starting uric acid levels had a larger reduction.
Later follow-up is not fully documented in the report, but the authors note:
Long term compliance with dietary restriction is the most difficult aspect of the management of obesity and the significant 67% decrease in the frequency of attacks may not be clinically relevant in view of the short duration of our study. Therefore, the findings that the BMI, uric acid, and lipid values remained constant in eight of the nine patients during a median follow up period of 12 months, is encouraging. In addition, this was associated with a further decrease in the frequency of attacks
40 30 30 Zone Gout Diet Conclusion
Weight reduction and a change in macronutrient proportions will lower uric acid.
Your 40 30 30 Zone Diet for Lower Uric Acid
Your next step depends on your personal situation. So here are some questions to guide you:
1. Are you currently on the Zone Diet?
If you are happy with your progress and have completed more than 4 weeks, you should start a GoutPal Dieters Plan. But if you are not happy you might consider increasing the proportion of vegetables in your diet. Or I can give you personal help improving your Zone diet.
2. Are you on any other diet or eating style that passes the EFSEP test?
If yes, you should start a GoutPal Dieters Plan. Otherwise, start a GoutPal Foodies Plan. But if you are not sure, ask for personal help with your gout diet choices.
Leave 40 30 30 Zone Diet for Lower Uric Acid to browse more GoutPal Dieters Plan Intro Resources.
40 30 30 Zone Diet for Lower Uric Acid Related Topics
Please remember: to find more related pages that are relevant to you, use the search box near the top of every page.
Other posts that include these terms:
- Purine Rich Foods
- Are Almonds Good For Gout Foodies?
- Uloric (febuxostat) Guidelines
- Gout Info Update Service – Stay Updated about Gout
- Starting Allopurinol – Dosing Guidelines
- What Is Allopurinol?
- Probenecid in Gout Treatment
40 30 30 Zone Diet for Lower Uric Acid References
- Dessein, Patrick H., E. A. Shipton, A. E. Stanwix, B. I. Joffe, and J. Ramokgadi. “Beneficial effects of weight loss associated with moderate calorie/carbohydrate restriction, and increased proportional intake of protein and unsaturated fat on serum urate and lipoprotein levels in gout: a pilot study.” Annals of the rheumatic diseases 59, no. 7 (2000): 539-543. 40 30 30 Zone Diet for Gout PDF.
Please give your feedback
Did this page help you? If yes, please consider a small donation. Your donations help keep GoutPal's gout support services free for everyone.
If not, please tell me how I can improve it to help you more.
- The gout forums.